Fun & Easy Activity to Help Children Learn to Share
Share the Play Dough
Takeaway & Memory Verse
God wants me to share with you.
“One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.” Proverbs 11:24-25 (ESV)
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- 1 large spoon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup salt
- Food coloring of your choice
- Gather all ingredients. You will probably want to do this project in the kitchen because it may get messy.
- An adult will need to do most of the work to make the play dough, but allow kids to help stir and mix the dough to keep them engaged.
Give one or two ingredients to each person and tell them what they are. “I have given each of you some of the ingredients to make today’s Craftivity, but you have a choice to make.”
“You can choose to keep the ingredient(s) I gave you all to yourself, or everyone can share their ingredients to create something new and fun together.”
“What will you choose?” Allow everyone to respond. If someone is resistant to sharing, do your best to bring them to a decision to share. “Great choice, everyone!”
“Sharing is always the best choice and the choice God would want us to make. Hebrews 13:16 says, “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have…”
“Who is ready to make some playdough?” Allow kids to respond.
- Combine water and food coloring in one bowl.
- Add the oil to the water and 4-5 drops of food coloring.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients. Continue mixing until the playdough forms a ball.
- Knead the dough with your hands until it is no longer sticky. Allow the kids to help and flour their hands to help prevent the dough from sticking to their hands.
- If the play dough is too “floury,” add more water. If it is too sticky, add a couple of drops of oil.
- Break the playdough into pieces to share with everyone.
Have fun playing with your new creation!