Free Devotional! Teaching the Importance of Temperance
Focus: Psalm 119:37
“Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things, and give me life in your ways” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Carter invests much of his time in his game and when he finally loses, he hears, “You’re doomed and all alone,” he panics and drops the game in sadness and frustration. After, he looks around his lonely room. Then he prays to Jesus, thanking Jesus for his friends and asking Jesus to help him to spend more time with his family and friends.
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Too Much Screen Time.” Then, read Psalm 119:37 and Zechariah 8:5.
Do you like to play video games? Do you think you might be spending too much time playing video games? Video games can be fun. However, when most of your time is spent playing video games, you are missing the wonderful things the Lord has planned for you. Can a video game help you climb a tree or go fishing with you? Jesus loves it when you play with your friends. The real world is beautiful and so much more fun than sitting in front of a video screen!
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- What video games do you play, and do you think you play them too much?
- What can you do outside that you can’t do playing a video game?
- Why does Jesus like to see boys and girls playing outside?
- What is the difference between make-believe and what is real?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.