Free Devotional Teaching the Importance of Patience
Focus: Ecclesiastes 7:8
“The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Christian is very impatient as he cuts in line in front of his friends and doesn’t want to wait to walk his little sister to school. His father reminds him that love is patient and kind. When he hastily leaves his little sister at school and they can’t find her, he panics. He prays to Jesus for help. After she is found safe and sound, he learns a valuable lesson about what is truly important and how to be patient.
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Stop and Smell the Patience.” Then, read 1 Corinthians 13:4 and Ephesians 4:2.
Everyone has to wait sometimes. We wait in line to pay for our groceries at the store, get our food at a restaurant, and see the doctor when we are sick. Patience is a virtue. A virtue is a good thing; it is a good way to behave. How does it make you feel when someone cuts in front of you? Jesus said the first shall be last and the last shall be first in heaven. It means when you are last to receive something here on earth, you will be first to receive it in heaven. Heaven is for all eternity, that is forever and forever.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- What causes you to be in a hurry?
- Why do you think Jesus wants us to put the needs of others before our own needs?
- How can you put the needs of others before your needs?
- How do you feel when you put others’ needs before yours?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.