Free Devotional! Teaching the Importance of Friendship
Focus: Luke 6:31
“And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Mandy feels threatened by Susie and June’s friendship. When June invites Susie to her birthday party, Mandy decides to throw a party on the same day. Susie seeks Jesus in prayer, asking for wisdom. Susie decides to have a party and invites both girls. Apologies are exchanged, and a group hug solidifies that three friends are better than two. John 13:34, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another” (ESV).
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Better Together.” Then, read John 13:34.
Making a new friendship has its pros and cons. It’s not always easy for friends to get along. Sometimes one friend can be jealous of another friend, putting you in the middle of both. Have you ever felt like you were the friend who was left out? It’s not a nice feeling. It is wise to remember that feeling so you can help another friend not feel left out. Pray to Jesus to give you the words and the strength to speak up for a friend who has been excluded.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- Is it ever good to physically fight with another person? Why or why not?
- What does the word “sensitive” mean, and can being sensitive cause problems?
- How can you help two of your friends remain friends after they have an argument?
- How is Jesus a good friend to you?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.