Free Devotional Teaching Children to Communicate
Focus: Ephesians 4:15
“Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Susie doesn’t want to tell a lie, and her brutal honesty has caused her friends, teachers, and family to become angry with her. She thinks it is because they don’t want to hear the truth, and she blames them. Her father explains that the truth needs to be given in love. Susie prays to Jesus, asking for help to tell the truth lovingly. She learns how to communicate her feelings with love while still being truthful.
You can find episode details here.
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Love Is the Best Policy.” Then, read Ephesians 4:15 and Galatians 5:22.
Telling the truth can be difficult. Sometimes, you tell the truth in hopes that you will help your friends or family when you actually hurt their feelings instead. It would be best if you were careful in the way that you say things. It is important that you speak to each other with love, and if you think you might hurt someone’s feelings, pray to Jesus, asking him for guidance.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- Why is telling the truth a good thing to do?
- How can you hurt someone’s feelings with the truth?
- What does it meant to tell the truth in love?
- When you don’t like something, how do you tell the other person you don’t like it?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.