Free Devotional! Helping Teach the Importance of Teamwork
Focus: 1 Corinthians 12:17-18
“If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Carter wants to play basketball, but Marcus thinks Carter is too little and not fast enough. Their teacher explains that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and they need to work together. David challenges Marcus and Freddy to a game against him and Carter. Carter prays, asking Jesus to help him use his talents well. Carter demonstrates his winning skills, and Marcus demands that Carter be on his team next time. They learn everyone has a special talent or gift, as God states in 1 Peter 4:10, “As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace” (ESV).
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Then, read 1 Corinthians 12:17-18.
Carter is good at passing a basketball. David is good at scoring baskets. Everyone has a special talent or gift that God has given them to help and serve others. Those who believe in Jesus are collectively called the body of Christ. Each person who believes in Jesus works together to serve God with their God-given talent. David tells his friends that together they make a good team because they each have a different gift and talent from God. Ask God to show you your talents so you can serve others.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- Do you think people judge others based upon their outward appearance?
- Have you ever been judged wrongly based on your appearance? How did it make you feel?
- What should you do when you first meet someone?
- What gifts or talents do you have? How can you serve others using your gifts or talents?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.