Free Devotional! Helping Teach the Importance of Respect
Focus: Deuteronomy 5:16
“Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Marcus is not a great influence. He doesn’t keep his promise to David, and he does not respect his mother whenever he speaks to her. David tries to explain that God has a rule, and that rule is to be respectful in words and deeds towards your mother and father.
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Respect Effect.” Then, read Deuteronomy 5:16.
Sometimes, you might want to be a follower instead of a leader. After all, you may want to “fit in” and are led into a situation because someone has promised you something you need or want. David really wants to learn how to do a bubble burst so Marcus promises to teach him how to do that. However, Marcus fails to keep his promise. Sometimes we want to believe that someone is telling the truth and wants to be good and kind. But, that is not always the case, as some people will entice you to follow their path of sin. David realizes his error and prays to Jesus for guidance and help.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- How have you been disrespectful to your parents?
- What does it mean to honor your father and your mother?
- Why do you think God wants us to be respectful to our parents and others?
- How has someone been disrespectful to you, and how did it make you feel?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.