Free Devotional Teaching the Importance of Obedience
Focus: Ephesians 6:1-3
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother’ (this is the first commandment with a promise), ‘that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land’” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
David disobeys and doesn’t wear his helmet and mouthguard when told to do so by his mother. He is badly hurt when he crashes into Mandy’s go-cart. He becomes angry when told he will have to fix Mandy’s go-cart. After Freddy reminds him to “Obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right” (Ephesians 6:1 ESV), David realizes his error and even takes some of the parts off of his own go-cart to make Mandy’s go-cart better than before, forfeiting his chance to enter the race. David learns that obedience is important for many reasons.
You can find episode details here.
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Safety First.” Then, read Deuteronomy 11:1 and John 15:14.
Sometimes, children think they don’t need to do something just because they don’t want to do it. However, if you disobey your parents or those God has placed in authority, you are also disobeying God. God’s laws and rules are to help keep you safe from harm, provide for your needs, and help keep you healthy. Rules and regulations that your parents want you to obey also are for your safety, health, and needs. What would happen if you told your little brother or sister not to run in the street and they didn’t listen? Obeying rules is very important and not obeying the rules is a sin.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- What lesson did you learn about obedience and sacrifice?
- What have you made with a friend or a parent that made someone else happy?
- Why does Jesus want you to obey your parents?
- What can happen if you don’t obey your parents? How do you think it makes Jesus feel when you don’t obey?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.