Free Devotional! Teaching the Importance of Courage
Focus: Joshua 1:9
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (ESV).
Sea Kids Story
Carter is afraid to join karate class and climb a rope for his physical education class. After Christian encourages him to try karate, Carter agrees and gains a little bit of confidence. He tells his father he made it through karate class and his dad tells him the story of David and Goliath. The next day at school, he prays to Jesus, asking Him to give him courage the way Jesus gave David the courage to fight Goliath. He climbs the rope and is the first to make it to the top!
Watch and Read Together
Pure Flix offers a free trial, where you can get all 26 Sea Kids episodes! Watch Sea Kids episode, “Faith Over Fear.” Then, read Deuteronomy 31:6.
Are you afraid to try something new? Maybe it’s trying new foods that you do not think will taste good or trying a new sport you think you might not be good at. However, how will you know if you like or dislike something without trying? It is important to try new things because you can do all things through him who strengthens you (Philippians 4:13 ESV). Praying to Jesus can help you get through any new activity you try! And who knows, maybe you will find out you are good at something because God has given you a gift or a talent. It is important to try new things because you do not know what you are missing unless you try.
Answer these questions together. Have an open and honest discussion and learn how each family member can be respectful to each other and other people, as God’s word directs.
- What activities are you afraid of trying? Why are you afraid?
- Why do you think it is good to be strong and courageous?
- How do you think David felt when he faced Goliath?
- What can you do to help yourself be brave when you are faced with fear?
Finally, Pray Together!
Set a time each day to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to fill you with the Fruit of the Spirit.
- As you pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you, look for opportunities to exhibit, in your actions, one Fruit, in particular, that day and another fruit the next day, until you have exhibited each Fruit of God’s Holy Spirit.